Let’s talk waffles!
You can actually make them three ways: from scratch, waffle mix, or even pancake mix. Even if you don’t always have specialized waffle batter in the house, you can grab pancake mix when you’re craving them. The ingredients are super similar, other than waffles needing an additional egg + oil.
Things You'll Need
1. Preheat your waffle iron.
2. Crack open 2 eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat them.
3. Add 1 tbsp. almond extract, 1 1/2 cups of milk, and 4 tbsp. oil, butter or melted shortening. Stir the mixture until it’s combined.
4. Pour 2 cups pancake mix into the wet mixture. Stir until all lumps have gone away.
5. Pour a portion of batter onto the hot iron. This amount will vary depending on the size and type of waffle iron, so just eye it. You want each square’s lines to be covered, but don’t need the whole thing to be full of batter.
6. When the iron stops steaming, open it and remove the waffle(s). Enjoy!
- If you want to switch things up, you can add ingredients to the batter before pouring it into the iron (like chocolate chips, nuts, coconut, and fruit).
- Maple syrup is super yummy, but try berries and whipped cream (or skip the cream if you want less sugar) for a breakfast alternative or dessert.
- To make Norwegian waffles from pancake mix, add another egg and a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the batter.
- Replace the almond extract in the recipe for any other extract of your choice, such as rum, vanilla, or maple. MMM!