A french braid is a cute, classic hairstyle that works well with most hair types and lengths. It’s a look to dress up or down, and actually can work on a lot of ages as long as you style yourself right! While it may be easier to have another person french braid your hair for you, it’s totally possible to do it yourself. French braid pigtail style is one of our favorites, so let’s get into the steps.
Things You'll Need
1. Part your hair down the middle using a comb. Start from the front, center of your head and part your hair in a straight line running from the front to the back where your head meets your neck.
2. Check that your part is straight by holding one mirror in front of you and the other in back. Your part should have no zig-zags and should run in a straight line down your head (unless you want to funk the part up).
3. Secure the hair on the left side so it doesn’t get in the way of your first french braid.
4. Put a small amount of gel on the edges of the hair on the right side and brush your hair upward and away from your face. This will ensure your french braid looks polished.
5. Use your fingers to divide the top of the section on your right side into three smaller sections. You will now have a right, middle, and left section of hair for this side.
6. Grab a small amount of hair to add to the right section and cross the right section over the middle section so the right section is now in the middle. The middle section should now be on the right.
7. Add a small amount of hair to the left section and cross the left section over the middle section.
8. Continue to cross the right and left sections over the middle sections, adding hair as you go.
9. Once you have crossed a section across another, pull the hair in order to keep the braid tight. For example, pull the right section outward to the right, the middle outward toward the center, and the left outward to the left.
10. Continue crossing and tightening each section until you have completed the braid down the center of the right side of your head.
11. Secure the braid with an elastic band.
12. Release the section of hair you have secured and repeat the above steps for your second french braid.
13. Smooth any flyaways with your hand and add hairspray to them if needed. All done!