Start to Finish: 25 minutesServings: 12 Difficulty: Beginner
Cake mix muffins are — just as they sound — muffins made using cake mix. Essentially, cake mix muffins are denser and sweeter than regular muffins but not as sweet as cupcakes and almost always sans frosting. There are a few ways to make cake mix muffins, but the most common is by using applesauce as an easy and healthy alternative. The proportions remain the same no matter which type of cake mix you use, so experiment to find your favorite.
- 1 box cake mix
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup water
Step 1: Prepare the Tin
Spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. You can also use paper liners if you prefer. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: Mix the Ingredients
Add cake mix to a medium or large mixing bowl. Stir in 1 cup of applesauce and 1/3 cup of water and mix until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.
Step 3: Bake the Muffins
Fill each greased muffin tin with the mixture. Fill each cup about two-thirds of the way full for best results. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
Step 4: Cool Them
Let the finished muffins cool for five minutes in the muffin tins. Switch muffins to a cooling rack and let them cool for five more minutes before serving.
Cake mix muffins don’t need butter or margarine, though you certainly can add it if desired. If you do, try brushing the tops of the muffins with melted butter — just enough to add a delicious buttery taste.
- Try additions like cinnamon or chocolate chips, chopped walnuts or pecans, blueberries, chopped apples — Granny Smith or Fuji apples work well — raisins or crushed pineapple.
- Swap the applesauce out for other ingredients. Canned pumpkin — not the pie filling — or canned sweet potatoes work well with a chocolate, spice or carrot cake mix.
- Mashed banana is an excellent option in a yellow or chocolate cake mix as well.
- Plain yogurt will substitute in any cake mix.
- For a sweeter muffin, try blueberry or cherry pie filling in place of the applesauce in a white or chocolate cake mix, or use apple pie filling in a carrot or spice cake mix.