'Tis the season for hosting and attending holiday parties, entertaining everyone from family and friends to co-workers… and you need easy, fun dishes to keep in your back pocket. This recipe is in our holiday feast series: Wholesome, delicious and portable!
This recipe is inspired by Ella Leché's cookbook, Cut The Sugar: You're Sweet Enough, and it was so good we had to share how it's made with you. Completely vegan, gluten-free and low-sugar, this cake will surprise even the biggest chocolate-butter-loving-friend you have. The flavors scream holiday between the nutty rooibos tea, cinnamon and hint of cacao. We promise, baking an entire cake has never been easier--be the hit of your holiday party and ENJOY!
Ingredients for Cake:
- 1 3/4 cups spelt flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 cups coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil
- 1/2 cup brewed rooibos tea
Ingredients for Frosting:
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup vegan shortening
- 15-20 drops liquid stevia
- Optional: berries and coconut flakes to top!
- In a large bowl, sift: spelt flour, cinnamon, cacao powder and baking powder. Then add the coconut palm sugar and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix: applesauce, grape seed oil and rooibos tea.
- Combine wet mix into dry mix, stir until everything is combined well. Then distribute the batter evenly between two standard cake tins.
- Bake on the middle rack for 15-18 mins at 375 (until golden, don't over-bake!).
- For the frosting, add almond milk and cornstarch into a saucepan over low heat. Stir until combined. Add sugar, then mix again until a thick pudding-like texture forms. Let chill for 5 minutes.
- Separately, mix the vegan butter and vegan shortening together until fluffy.
- Add the milk mixture to the butter and combine well. Add stevia, then mix until light and fluffy.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, frost the top of the bottom layer, then the top of the top layer. Top with your favorite berries and coconut flakes!
Share this recipe with your friends by clicking the social links above!