This velvety hot chocolate is filled with good-for-you ingredients that you don't have to think twice about indulging in this fall/winter (except maybe the caramelized brioche, but it is so worth it). One mug of this hot cocoa can actually improve your metabolism, increase energy, lower blood sugar and improve your immune system functionality. It is loaded with Vitamin C, antioxidants, omega-3's, and even some protein from the almond milk. The caramelized brioche 'croutons' are optional, but a wonderful touch of festive fun (with the right cookie cutters) for the season.
Here's how it's done:
- 1 medium beet, cooked
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 4 tsp maca powder
- 2-3 tsp sugar (preferably coconut)
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Coconut whipped cream, to top (optional)
For Caramelized Brioche:
- In a blender, add the beet + water, then blend until completely pureed.
- In a bowl, add: cacao, maca, chia seeds, cinnamon and ground ginger.
- In a saucepan, add the almond milk. Once steamy, add the dry mixture and beet puree, plus vanilla extract. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour into a blender to make frothy.
- For brioche, thinly slice (about 1/2"-1" thick) and begin to cut with cookie cutters into small pieces - you can always cut into squares if you don't have cookie cutters!
- Heat about 1 tsp coconut oil over medium-heat in a saucepan, cook each side for about 2 minutes (until golden brown).
- Once you flip on the second side, drizzle lightly with honey to caramelize.
- Pour hot cocoa into a mug, add some coconut whipped cream and caramelized brioche!
Share this recipes with your friends by clicking the social links above!