We took a nod from goop on this fool-proof, one pan baked chicken recipe... And it is a dinner party WIN. It's incredibly easy to make, the most "labor-intensive" part is waiting for the marinade to work it's magic and the oven to do the job. It's got a great balance of sweet and acidic between the citrus, herbs and [optional] agave. Whip up a small green salad and side like couscous or brown rice, and you've got the perfect meal! If you're not hosting anytime soon, make this on Sunday for an amazing lunch/dinner the rest of the week.
Here's how it's done:
1 whole chicken (about 3.5 lbs), cut into 8 pieces 1 fresh bay leaf, torn 1 tsp rosemary leaves, chopped 1 heaped tbsp thyme leaves, chopped Juice of 2 lemons 3 tbsp olive oil 1 tsp kosher salt Cracked black pepper 2 organic lemons, thinly-sliced 2 organic oranges, thinly-sliced (original recipe calls for blood oranges) 1/3 cup white wine or rose 2 tbsp capers 1 tbsp agave nectar, optional
- Place chicken in a large glass baking dish and toss with bay leaf, chopped rosemary, chopped thyme, lemon juice, olive oil, 1 tsp salt, and about 1/2 tbsp cracked black pepper. Cover & marinate chicken at room temp for 1 hour.
- Arrange the chicken in a large dutch oven and pour over all of the marinade.
- Season each piece of chicken with a little more salt and pepper, then add lemon and orange slices to the dish (tuck in between and underneath the chicken). Drizzle over a little more olive oil.
- Place in oven, uncovered, at 400 degrees for about 1 hour and 15 minutes - or until skin and citrus are nicely browned & chicken pieces are cooked through.
- Remove from oven and add capers and agave nectar, using a wooden spoon to mix and scrape up the browned bits on the bottom.
Share this recipe with your friends by clicking the social links above!