Is there anything more comforting than a big bowl of mac & cheese? While the holidays are in full swing, we might as well dive into this (incredibly delicious) recipe by Aliza Sokolow. Healthy? No. Worth it? YES. Serve it alongside your Thanksgiving turkey for the perfect #foodcoma post-dinner… Detox starts on Friday.
Here’s how it’s done:
4 cups macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups whole milk
2 heaping tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 lb cheddar, grated
1/2 lb gruyere, grated
Salt + pepper
- Cook 4 cups of macaroni pasta, according to the package.
- On medium-low heat, add butter and all purpose flour – whisk for about 5 minutes. Add whole milk, dry mustard, nutmeg and whisk until smooth.
- In a small bowl, beat 1 egg. Add it to the sauce whisking constantly to avoid cooking.
- Add cheeses, salt & pepper, and macaroni – mix well.
- Pour into dutch oven, top with more cheese, and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
*Optional: Top with breadcrumbs & olive oil before baking.
Share this recipe with your friends by clicking the social links above!