We were eager to learn how to make gourmet ice cream from scratch, and with help from Eletrolux, we were extremely successful with this creamy vanilla bean & fleur de sel flavor. We're not saying it's easy, but it's SO worth it. And it will last for months (if you have self-control, that it).
Here's how it's done:
1 cup whole milk 3/4 cup sugar Fleur de sel 1 vanilla bean 2 cups heavy cream 5 large egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Freeze your baking dish in advance.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add: milk, sugar and a large pinch of fleur de sel.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean, then add the beans and the pod to the milk mixture.
- When steamy, cover and remove from heat.
- In an ice bath over a strainer, add heavy cream.
- In a separate bowl, stir together 5 egg yolks.
- Re-warm the milk mixture, then pour 1/2 over the egg yolks. Whisk constantly, and add the other half. Then transfer the entire mixture (scraping the sides) back to the saucepan. Cook over low-heat, stirring constantly, until it's a thick custard.
- Strain custard over the heavy cream. Stir over the ice until cool. Add vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate to chill thoroughly, minimum of 4 hours.
- Remove the vanilla bean, then pour mixture into your cold baking dish and pop in the freezer.
- Remove afer 45 minutes and blend with an immersion blender. Repeat every 30 minutes for 2-3 hours.
Share this recipe with your friends by clicking the social links above!