After your child has baked all of the mixes that came with the Easy Bake Oven, it’s time to get creative. The Easy Bake Ultimate Oven, which replaced the classic Easy Bake Oven in 2011, features a heating element that is very similar to that in traditional ovens. It can reach temperatures of up to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, which allows it to cook many of the same treats that your full-sized oven can.
If your child loves the Easy Bake Oven cake mixes, saving money is easy. Divide a regular cake mix into 4-ounce portions. Spoon each portion into an airtight container or zip-top bag and label. A standard cake mix will produce about 4 Easy Bake Oven sized portions.
Copy the directions from the cake mix onto 4 index cards. Attach the index cards to each portion of mix.
If your child’s favorite cookie recipe makes a batch of 2 dozen, cut in in half or fourths.
- Eggs are usually the determining factor when deciding how far you can scale down a recipe, because they are difficult to divide. If your recipe calls for 2 eggs, you can easily cut it in half, but no further. If the recipe only needs 1 egg, you’ll have to make the whole thing, or use liquid egg product.
- 1/4 cup of liquid egg product equals 1 fresh egg.
Measure the dry ingredients, including flour, baking soda or baking powder, sugar and salt, into a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Pour the mixed dry ingredients into an airtight container and label with the recipe name and instructions.
Homemade Easy Bake Oven mixes will stay fresh for about a month, if kept in an airtight container in a cool dry place. You can extend their shelf life by storing them in the freezer. Remove the mix you want to use about 15 to 30 minutes before baking to allow it to come to room temperature.
For the price of one Easy Bake Oven mix, you can buy several flavors of cake, brownie, cookie or other treat mix. Have your child help divide and label them.
You can make a variety of savory snacks in your Easy Bake Oven. Use these suggestions as a starting point:
- Easy Bake Pizza: Cut a slice of bread or thin bagel to fit the Easy Bake Oven baking pan. Spread a layer of pizza sauce on the bread, and then add cheese and your favorite toppings. Bake until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Nachos: Lay 3 or 4 tortilla chips on the Easy Bake Oven baking pan. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, seasoned meat, olives and chilis. Slide the pan into the Easy Bake Oven for 1 to 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Tuna Melt: Cut a slice of bread to fit the Easy Bake Oven baking pan. Top with tuna salad and Swiss cheese. Bake until the cheese is bubbly.
Follow these tips to get the most out of your homemade mixes:
- Branded Easy Bake Oven mixes are specifically formulated to work with the Easy Bake Oven pans. You may have to adjust the amount of liquid called for in the original directions.
- Do not fill the Easy Bake Oven pan more than halfway full.
- Test for doneness several minutes before the recipe says the treat will be done. Insert a toothpick into the center of your cake, brownie or cookie. If it comes out clean, the treat is done. If the center is still liquid, put it back in to bake for a few more minutes. Note the total baking time on your copied directions for next time.