Keep your cool all season long, even with the day drinking that sometimes comes along with warmer weather! Sunshine and al fresco cocktails on patios, rooftops or backyards go hand in hand. Instead of sitting outside under the sweltering sun with a lukewarm drink, take your classic cocktails to the next level by putting them, literally, on ice.
Learn how to create refreshing, adult slushy cocktails, so you can get your boozy buzz on all summer. These ideas will have you reaching for the freezer and blender, ASAP!
Chill Out Cocktails
The warm weather months mean relaxation, sunshine and sipping on an icy frozen drink. Enter the booze-infused slushy, an elevated take on the signature convenience store drink.
Whether it’s wine that wets your whistle or a boozy blend reminiscent of a beach vacation, frozen cocktails are great for backyard or rooftop entertaining. Mix up a batch of wine-infused frozen margs, layer a tri-colored cocktail perfect for Fourth of July barbecues, or swirl up a refreshing frose. You’ll want to sip on these inspired icy ideas all season long.
Sauvignon Blanc Passion Fruit Margarita
Make margs more special by blending sauvignon blanc and a summery fruit like passion fruit.
Total Time: 10 minutes | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Serves: 2‒4
- 1 750 ml bottle sauvignon blanc
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- Lime zest
- Crushed ice
- 1 passion fruit
- 2 slices of passion fruit for garnish
- Cut the passion fruit in half and spoon its pulp into a cocktail shaker.
- Add 3.5 ounces of sauvignon blanc, agave and lime juice into a shaker and shake.
- Fill a shallow plate with coarse sea salt and add the zest of a lime.
- Use a lime wedge to dampen the rim of two chilled glasses. Dip the rims of the glasses on the plate with salt and lime zest.
- Fill glasses halfway with crushed ice and pour in the cocktail through a strainer.
- Fill the glasses to the top with chilled sauvignon blanc.
- Garnish each glass with a thin slice of passion fruit. Enjoy!
Red, Wine and Blue Layered Granita
Mix up a tri-colored cocktail for Fourth of July gatherings that is as ice-cold refreshing as it is Instagram worthy.
Total Time: 4 hours, 20 minutes | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 2‒4
- 1 750 ml bottle of pinot grigio
- 1/4 cup of cherries
- 1 teaspoon blue spirulina
- Divide bottle of pinot grigio into three parts.
- Pour 1/3 of the pinot grigio into a metal baking dish or tray.3. Whisk 1/3 of the pinot grigio with blue spirulina. Pour into a metal baking dish or tray.
- Blend 1/3 of the pinot grigio with the cherries. Pour into a metal baking dish or tray.5. Cover and freeze all three trays for 1 1/2 hours.
- Use a fork to scrape the contents of each to create a slushy texture.
- Return to the freezer for another 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove all three trays from the freezer.
- Scrape each tray with a fork to make the texture slushy.
- Layer contents into stemless wine glasses and enjoy immediately!
Swirl strawberries, rose and ice into an infused icy treat that’s perfect for patio, picnic or park swilling.
Total Time: 25 hours (including freezing overnight) | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Serves: 2‒4
- 1 750 ml bottle rose, divided into ice cube trays and frozen overnight
- 3 ounces agave
- 8 ounces strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 1/2 ounces fresh lemon juice
- Bring agave and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until agave blends, about 3 minutes.
- Add strawberries, remove from heat, and allow the mixture to sit 30 minutes to infuse the syrup with strawberry flavor.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl (do not press on solids); cover and allow to cool.
- Place rose ice cubes into a blender. Add the lemon juice, 3 1/2 ounces of the strawberry syrup and puree until slushy.
- Pour into chilled glasses and enjoy!
Chill out all spring and summer long with a boozy buzz thanks to these ice-cold cocktails. Sipping on these spiked slushies will make your next outdoor party one to remember!