Anyone who has ever wanted to whip up a delicious meal on a busy weeknight should have a great chicken taco recipe ready to go. A chicken taco recipe is a great way to incorporate protein and vegetables into a hearty and delicious meal that's perfect any night of the week. It's a relatively simple recipe that you can tweak and edit according to your tastes and moods.
Chicken Taco Recipe
All chicken tacos are not created equal. Chicken tacos can have many different flavors depending on the way that the taco meat is cooked and the kinds of toppings you use to dress your tacos. The way you elect to cook the chicken is the single most important option to change the taste and flavor of the tacos. Whether you decide to go with a marinade or a simple salt and pepper seasoning, your decision will drastically affect the taste of the tacos. If you have more time and can plan ahead, marinating the chicken overnight is a good way to ensure strong flavor in every bite.
For a milder taste that lets the toppings do the majority of the heavy lifting, a simple salt and pepper seasoning with mild additional spices is a great way to go. There are also plenty of prepackaged taco seasoning rubs on the market that you can buy to have ready whenever you want to make a chicken taco recipe. Before you begin making your chicken tacos, gather all of your taco ingredients.
Total Time: 30 minutes | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 4
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- lettuce, tomato, sour cream, salsa, avocado, lime wedges and cilantro (optional)
There are many variations on spice rubs and seasonings you can use in a chicken taco recipe. However, to make a simple chicken taco recipe with a variety of flavors, these spices are great to have on hand to start.
Spice Rub Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Make Chicken Tacos
Once you've prepared all of your ingredients, including chopping anything that needs to be chopped and measuring out all of your spices, you're ready to begin.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, making sure it doesn't begin to smoke.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook until golden brown and completely cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Lower the heat to low.
- Add the tortillas to the pan, warming them slightly on both sides, but take care not to dry them out, which can cause them to split.
- Once you've finished heating the tortillas, begin building the tacos.
- Place a few pieces of chicken in the center of each tortilla, then top them with any of the toppings you desire.