It's prime fig season right now and it just so happens that this particular fruit is the ~perfect~ low-glycemic addition to any sweet breakfast, baked good or even salad. Paired with vanilla and a little maple syrup, this overnight oats recipe is the ultimate celebration of summer. Adding to our round up of healthy make-ahead breakfasts, you can prep this entire jar the night before and dig in right when you wake up. It's travel-friendly, too, so you can also throw it in your gym bag for a nutrient-dense post-workout snack.
Stumbling upon this recipe when it's not fig season? No problem! Just sub in your favorite berry or banana, the vanilla will work with most flavor profiles. Be sure to tell us what your favorite overnight oats flavor combo is on Instagram! Here's how it's done:
- 2-3 figs
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Maple syrup, to taste
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Puffed quinoa, to top
- Chop up two large figs and place in your jar
- Add the dry ingredients (oats and chia seeds), then liquid (almond milk and vanilla extract)
- Drizzle maple syrup to taste, it's better to have a lighter hand here because you can always add sweetener later
- Mix everything up with a fork so that all of the chia seeds and flavors are totally combined. Then shake it up again!
- Refrigerate overnight (optimally)
- Top with fresh sliced fig and puffed quinoa in the morning
Share this recipe with your friends by clicking the social links above!