problems with magnetic earrings

Magnetic earrings are a popular choice for those who've outgrown stick-on earrings, but aren't quite ready to make the leap to pierced ears. The opposing magnets allow them to mimic regular earrings and remain undetectable from a distance. Despite their convenience, magnetic earrings are hazardous, posing a particular danger to children. Consider the drawbacks associated with magnetic earrings to find out if they're a good fit for you.

Hazards to Children

Magnetic earrings pose dangers to children, who are often the target demographic. Both the backing and studded portion of magnetic earrings are tiny, making it possible for a child to inadvertently consume them. This serves as a choking hazard, but can also cause internal damage as a result of the magnets applying pressure to internal organs. If a child consumes a magnetic earring, bring them to a doctor immediately for examination. Avoid storing the earrings out in the open where they can be easily picked up or mistaken for a toy.

Damage to Electronics

Magnets have the ability to disrupt the function of electronic devices. Those dependent on pacemakers and other electronic health devices that regulate the body should not wear magnetic jewelry. Magnets interfere with the electric signals sent by a pacemaker, interrupting the heart's rhythm. They will also rearrange data particles when placed in close proximity to credit cards or swiped up against them repeatedly. Always store magnetic earrings and away from your wallet and watch to be safe.

Weak Magnetism

Magnetic earrings don't always contain a strong magnetism, particularly when they are low priced. Wearers with wide ear lobes may find it difficult to get a pair to stay attached to their ears throughout the day due to the weak magnetism. In this case, either stick-on earrings or piercings, done in a certified salon, may be more suitable options.