A low female libido can be caused by many things: stress, a lack of exercise, an unhealthy diet, certain medications (including antidepressants) and hormones. Viagra for women is now a thing, but certain foods, herbs, supplements and exercise might be all that's needed to boost sex drive.
- Raw oysters: Oysters have a reputation for being an aphrodisiac. They're high in zinc, known to raise testosterone levels and sperm production in men. This delicacy is definitely an acquired taste, but if you're into them, add a few to your daily diet.
- Avocados: Avocados have high levels of folic acid, vitamin B6 and potassium; all play important roles in female libido. Folic acid helps metabolize proteins, B6 helps increase male hormone production and potassium helps regulate the female thyroid gland, which in turn can boost sex drive.
- Asparagus: Rich in vitamin E to stimulate the production of sex hormones—good for both the female and male libido.
- Bananas: Great for increasing energy. They're rich in potassium and vitamin B, which are important in the production of sex hormones.
- Figs: High in amino acids to enhance female libido, and they can also improve sexual stamina.
- Celery: Contains androsterone, an odorless hormone that is released through male perspiration and reportedly turns women on.
- Eggs: Vitamins B5 and B6 help lower stress levels.
- Fish: Rich in B vitamins, including B5, B6 and B12 for maintaining a healthy reproductive system. Wild-caught salmon is the best choice.
- Basil: Can increase female sex drive and improve female fertility.
Aromatherapy essential oils are effective in increasing female sex drive. Dilute them in carrier oils like coconut, olive or jojoba, and use in the bath or have your partner massage them on your body. Scents like lavender and ylang ylang can be relaxing and enhance libido.
Ginkgo, arginine, dong quai and ginseng are all herbs that have shown to increase female libido. They can be taken in supplement form or cooked in foods. Don quai is also called "the woman's herb" because it's been used to treat menopausal problems.