Pomegranates are well known for their abundant antioxidant properties and health benefits. Pomegranate oil is used to provide cardiovascular protection, lower harmful triglycerides in the blood stream, and enhance overall immune system function. The oil is recommended for diabetic patients, patients undergoing treatment for cancer, and patients with various heart problems. You can make pomegranate oil at home to benefit from these properties using the seeds which contain a high concentration of the plant's oil. Always consult a licensed physician before taking any supplements or alternative treatments.
Add 4 cups of jojoba oil to your crock pot.
Mix 1 ounce of organic pomegranate seeds into the pot. Put the crock pot at a low heat setting.
Allow the oil to cook for six hours. Remove the lid from your jar. Unfold the cheesecloth material and lay it over the jar opening.
Wrap the rubber band around the cheesecloth material to hold it in place.
Turn the crock pot off and wait 15 minutes. Strain the oil through the cheesecloth material to remove the seeds.
Unwrap the rubber band and set the cheesecloth aside. Screw the lid back onto the jar. Write the date on the jar with a permanent marker.
Store the oil in a cool dark area or in the refrigerator for up to six months. Discard the oil after this six month period.
If you heat the oil in a microwave, it will lose its medicinal benefits.
This oil is for topical use only. Do not ingest.
- It's a Healthy New Age: Tips for Making Your Own Essential Oils
- PubMed: Pomegranate as a cosmeceutical source: pomegranate fractions promote proliferation and procollagen synthesis and inhibit matrix metalloproteinase-1 production in human skin cells
- Ayushveda: Benefits of Pomegranate
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Pomegranate
- PubMed: Effect of pomegranate seed oil on hyperlipidaemic subjects: a double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial