Pumice, a naturally occurring rock created during volcanic eruption, is used in it's natural form to exfoliate dead skin from the feet during pedicures. Pumice stones are considered multi-use tools and can be used by more then one person. All multi-use tools must be disinfected between uses to ensure that they do not harbor harmful bacteria.
After each use, remove all visible debris and residue with a scrub brush and soap and warm water. Rinse the pumice stone thoroughly.
Mix a solution of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water in a bowl or glass jar.
Place the pumice stone in the bowl. It must be completely immersed in the solution. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
Remove the pumice stone and rinse with warm water. Allow pumice to air dry.
Repeat between each use.
Bring your own pumice stone if you are getting a professional pedicure. You can use an EPA-registered disinfectant in place of bleach to disinfect.