Are you a size 6 or a size 26? Certain brands size their pants differently, so it can be totally confusing. And if you’re online shopping, forget it! But wait—it’s not as complicated as it might seem. Here’s how to convert pants sizes so you always know what’s going to fit.
Measure around your waist with a tape measure and write down the measurement. Round this measurement up to the nearest 1/2 inch.
Measure around your hips at the widest point and write this measurement down. Round it up to the nearest 1/2 inch as well.
Compare your waist and hip measurements to a sizing chart:
- Size 2 pants fit 24-inch waists 34 1/2–inch hips.
- Size 4 pants fit 25-inch waists and 35 1/2–inch hips.
- Size 6 pants fit 26-inch waists and 36 1/2–inch hips.
- Size 8 pants fit 27-inch waists and 37 1/2–inch hips.
- Size 10 pants fit 28-inch waists and 38 1/2–inch hips.
- Size 12 pants fit 29 1/2–inch waists and 40-inch hips.
- Size 14 pants fit 31-inch waists and 41 1/2–inch hips.
- Size 16 pants fit 32 1/2–inch waists and 43-inch hips.
- If you fall between sizes, purchase the next larger size for the most comfortable fit.
- Men’s pants are usually sized literally by inches. Measure around the waist and the length of the inseam (from the crotch to the hem of the pant leg) and you’ve got the sizes figured out.