Laugh lines can be good and bad. On one hand, when they show up, it means you're laughing a lot, and that's great! On the other hand, they do have the effect of making a person look older. Wrinkles can't be avoided—they're just a part of life. But there are ways to minimize and delay them for as long as possible. Here's how.
What Causes Wrinkles
Those lines around the lips and mouth are called perioral wrinkles, and they're often among the first lines to form on the face in the aging process. Aging happens when the skin loses collagen and elastin, proteins that keep it plump. When the proteins diminish, skin becomes thinner and less elastic, and the areas that were filled with these proteins become wrinkled. This is also why lips get thinner as we get older.
Here are some of the main causes of wrinkles.
- Genetics play a big role in how skin ages.
- Sun exposure is a huge factor, too—it's the top cause of premature wrinkles.
- The biggest preventable contributor to mouth lines is smoking, which dries out skin.
- Repeated pursing of the lips causes wrinkles and lines near the mouth.
- Frequent waxing or threading can also contribute to lines.
To stop wrinkles from forming or to minimize their appearance, follow some easy steps in your daily lifestyle.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Use a good facial moisturizer and make sure you don't miss the skin near your mouth.
- Use lip balm to hydrate lips.
- Exfoliate your skin and lips regularly to remove dead skin cells.
- Wear sunscreen and a lip balm with a high SPF when outdoors.
- Exercise regularly.
- Try to avoid stress.
- Get plenty of sleep.
To make an anti-wrinkle remedy, mix turmeric and sugar cane juice into a paste. Apply this to the area around the mouth and leave on until it dries. Rinse off with a wash cloth.
You can also smash an avocado and apply it to the skin. Leave on for 20 minutes, then wash off.
Try mixing a 1/4 cup comfrey infusion with 1/4 cup witch hazel and 10 drops patchouli oil. Apply to the skin with a cotton ball.
For a temporary fix, separate egg whites and apply the whites to skin. Let dry and wash off.