Whether you're an undergrad, a Ph.D. student, a stay-at-home mom or you're office-bound after a long vacation, back to school means back to business. And no matter which of the aforementioned versions of living your best life you're doing, late nights (read: keggers, wine nights, bourbon-fueled writing sessions, whatever floats your boat) are inevitable. If occasional party times get in the way of being on your A-game the next day, chances are, your skin is feeling the pain, too. A parched, dull or red complexion are a reflection of how the rest of your body must be feeling when you're hungover.
Quenching your skin's thirst is just as essential as guzzling down lots of water. Prickly pear seed oil provides ample moisture as well as vitamins E and K, essential fatty acids and antioxidants to nourish and perk up skin tone. Aloe and chamomile calm inflammation, puffiness and redness. And for a little aromatherapy, peppermint oil supports mental clarity and focus, and can even provide some headache relief. You're welcome.
Whip up this mask on mornings after. Extra credit if you act preemptively and manage to pull off this routine before bed on a particularly boozy night.
Things You'll Need:
- 1 bag chamomile tea
- Hot water
- 1 tbsp prickly pear seed oil
- 1 tsp aloe vera gel
- 2-3 drops peppermint essential oil
- Steep the chamomile tea in hot water for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bag and set it aside to cool to the touch for a few minutes. (Heat is a good way to activate the tea leaves.) In the meantime, feel free to drink the tea to calm your system.
- Open the cooled tea bag and empty the warm tea leaves into a bowl. Add prickly pear seed oil, aloe vera gel and peppermint oil. Mix well.
- Apply the mask all over your face and leave on for 20 minutes. Then, wipe off the tea leaves with a damp, warm washcloth, and massage the residual oil into your skin with your hands. You could also rinse the mask off with warm water as you massage your skin.