A Creamy Way to Top Pasta
Creamy, luscious Alfredo sauce tastes decadent, as if it takes hours to craft. In actuality, it's simple to blend together and a real family pleaser. Skip the bland, store-bought versions, and treat your family to a plate of pasta topped with homemade Alfredo sauce.
Serve it with steamed broccoli and sliced baked chicken to make a complete meal that's both elegant and comforting. Alfredo isn't a diet food, but it's sure worth the splurge.
Total Time: 10 minutes | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- In a medium pan, melt the butter over low to medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, incorporate the cream, stirring the mixture frequently.
- Once the butter and cream mixture starts to bubble, allow it to cook for another 5 minutes. Keep stirring regularly to prevent it from scalding.
- When the mixture thickens slightly, turn off the heat and stir in the Parmesan, salt and pepper. Serve over cooked pasta.
Start with a brick of Parmesan cheese and grate it yourself for the freshest flavor. It takes a little extra time, but it's worth it. Plus, grating cheese is a good job for the kids.
Andrea Boldt has been in the fitness industry for more than 20 years. A personal trainer, run coach, group fitness instructor and master yoga teacher, she also holds certifications in holistic and fitness nutrition.