We're happy to share our recipe series with Neda Varbanova; certified IIN health coach and recipe creator with a certificate in Culinary Nutrition from the Natural Gourmet Institute. Follow her here: @healthywithnedi | healthywithnedi.com
This is the most delicious, decadent, flourless chocolate cake that you will ever taste. In Bulgaria, it is also known as "Torta Garash" and it is a staple in every bakery there. The ingredients consist mainly of chocolate, walnuts, eggs, butter and coconut oil. After all, there is no better combination than chocolate and coconut!
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 stick soft butter, plus more to grease pan
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cacao
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 bar of dark chocolate to grate on top
- Sliced strawberries, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites and place each in two separate bowls
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt and lemon using a mixer until they become white and fluffy, about 2 mins
- In a smaller bowl, beat the soft butter, coconut oil, coconut sugar and honey with a mixer. Add the egg yolks and cacao powder and beat until mixed well
- Add the walnuts into the bowl with the egg whites, making sure they are very finely chopped
- Take half of the mixture from the egg yolks bowl and add it to the bowl of egg whites. The other half you will use to spread on the cake once it's baked
- Grease an 8-inch cake pan with butter, and place a piece of parchment paper on the bottom
- Add the mixture with egg whites to the pan and bake on 350 for 15-20 minutes. Take a toothpick and stick through to see if it comes out clear, if it does than the cake is ready!
- Let the cake cool completely and transfer to a serving platter. Once cooled, spread the leftover mixture on top and over the sides
- Grate dark chocolate on top evenly and serve with sliced strawberries if you like!
Neda Varbanova is a certified health coach and recipe creator who believes that healthy eating, fitness and a positive outlook are the key to realizing true health. Neda's food philosophy is inspired by her mother who has always prepared fresh daily meals with nothing short of simple, wholesome ingredients. When Neda arrived in New York during high school, she discovered that the American diet was lacking fresh foods and has been dedicated to inspiring others to incorporate healthy foods into their lives ever since.
Planning to make this recipe? Share your photo with us on Instagram @leaftv!