poison ivy, autumn image by Carbonbrain from Fotolia.com

English Ivy is a plant that can be found in all parts of the United States, Europe and even Canada. The most poison is found in the plant’s leaves and berries, although contact with any part of the plant can result in getting English Ivy poisoning. The poisonous toxins found in the plant are derived from the chemicals falcarinol and polyacetolene. The affects of English Ivy can range from moderate to severe.

Contact Dermatitis

The most common symptom of English Ivy is redness, itchiness and irritation of the skin. In many cases, a rash is developed at the affected area and blistering can occur. This kind of dermatitis is usually temporary and remains only until the skin recovers from the irritation. Contact dermatitis is almost always present in people who come into contact with an English Ivy plant.


Ataxia can be caused by many things, including coming into contact with English Ivy. It results in loss of muscle coordination. This symptom, although a rare symptom of English Ivy, is also usually temporary.

Sore Throat and Increased Thirst

A sore throat that results in a constant burning sensation may be attributed to English Ivy. However, a sore throat is usually not the only symptom and will accompany at least one other, such as increased thirst, a rash or itchy skin.

Severe Symptoms

In severe cases, people who are extremely allergic to the English Ivy plant may get a high fever or fall into a coma. At the first sign of a fever, nausea, vomiting or drooling, it is important to consult a physician right away.

Treating English Ivy

Unfortunately, English Ivy must run its course and there is no way to get rid of it early. However, using corticosteroids to sooth itching and irritated skin areas is effective in symptom relief. Keeping the affected skin clean and dry is also effective.