Making pancakes used to be a simple process. Open a box of mix, blend it with a few ingredients and pour the batter on a griddle. And this was AFTER box mixes appeared on the grocery shelves. Today, there are choices. Lots of choices. And the Hungry Jack brand is among the largest manufacturer of those choices. Hungry Jack pancake mixes range from Original to Buttermilk to Gluten Free, and those are just a few of the varieties shoppers get to choose from. But the process of making those delicious treats, whether it's on a weekday or a lazy Sunday morning, is still basic.
Hungry Jack Original Pancake Instructions
Milk, oil and eggs formed the basis of Hungry Jack pancake mix when it originally debuted, relieving cooks from the task of mixing and measuring flour and other leavening ingredients. Time, progress, competition and food science followed the product development until mixing and measuring was reduced to "just add water."
Currently owned by a private equity firm after being sold by the J.M. Smucker Company, Hungry Jack Original mix is still available, but it's difficult to find on supermarket shelves. Competition with other companies, other mixes, keto and gluten-free pancake mixes and a variety of flavorings, Hungry Jack Original is now just one of many to choose from.
Hungry Jack Mixing Options
If you're lucky enough to find a box of Original Hungry Jack, check the "sell by" date. Once you've determined that it's a viable product, grab a large bowl and mix your way to your family's pleasure.
Related LeafTv Articles
Original Hungry Jack Pancake Mix Recipe
An electric griddle with controlled heat settings is best for making pancakes, but if you don't have one, a non-stick skillet will work. Small pancakes are easier to work with.
Total Time: 20 minutes | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 18–22 pancakes
- 2 cups Hungry Jack Original Pancake Mix
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus more for griddle
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- In a large bowl, mix the ingredients together and blend with a wooden spoon until just mixed and still a bit lumpy.
- Let the mixture sit for 3 minutes.
- Warm the griddle to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. If you don't have a griddle with temperature control, drop a bit of water onto the surface. If it sizzles, your pan is ready.
- Brush a small amount of vegetable oil over the surface and wait a few seconds or until the oil is wavy.
- Pour about 1/4 cup mix for each pancake.
- When bubbles form on the top of the pancakes, after about 1 to 1 1/2-minutes, flip the pancakes and cook the other side for about 1 minute.
- Do not re-flip. The pancakes will get tough.
- Remove from the griddle and serve to a happy, hungry family!
Hungry Jack Complete Mixing Instructions
Responding to a market of working parents and quick and easy breakfast solutions, Hungry Jack met the demand with its Hungry Jack Complete Pancake Mix. The only ingredient necessary is water.
Total Time: 10 minutes | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Serves: 18–22 pancakes
- 3 cups Hungry Jack Complete Pancake Mix
- 2 1/4 cups water
- Vegetable oil for griddle
- Over medium-high heat or a griddle set to 375 F, spread a little vegetable oil over the surface. You'll know when the skillet is ready when a drop of water sizzles when sprinkled into the pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the pancake mix and water with a wooden spoon until everything is blended. The batter will be a little lumpy, which is what you want. Over-mixing yields thinner pancakes. Use less water for thicker pancakes and more water for thinner pancakes.
- Let the batter sit for 3 minutes.
- Pour about 1/4 cup mix onto the skillet or griddle. Let cook until bubbles form on the top of the pancakes, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Flip and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove and serve.
My seventh grade English teacher didn't realize what she was unleashing when she called me her "writer," but the word crept into my brain. I DID become a writer. Of advertising copy, dialogue and long-term story for several network soap operas, magazine articles and high-calorie contents for the cookbook: Cooking: It AIn't Rocket Science, a bestseller on Amazon! When I'm not writing, I'm cooking!