Stink bugs get their name from the powerful odor they emit as a defense mechanism. And unfortunately, these little guys also bite. Those who've been bitten liken it to being stung by a wasp. It hurts, but luckily, there are several methods to treat the bite:
Video of the Day
- Run the affected area under hot water, as hot as you can stand, for a minute or two. (Never do this to children.)
- Dilute apple cider vinegar with equal parts water and apply to bites with a cotton ball.
- Dab Milk-of-Magnesia brand laxative on bites.
- Apply rubbing alcohol on bites.
- Use After Bite ointment to help alleviate the pain and itch that come from insect bites.
- Apply hydrocortisone cream (0.5 percent or 1 percent).
- Apply calamine lotion.
- Mix 1 tablespoon baking soda with 1 teaspoon water and apply to the bites several times a day until symptoms cease.
- Take an antihistamine containing diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Tylenol Severe Allergy) or chlorpheniramine-maleate (Chlor-Trimeton, Actifed) to combat itching or other side effects.