- Pour the sugar into a resealable plastic bag.
- Add 2 to 3 drops of gel food coloring.
- From outside the bag, rub the gel color into the sugar to evenly distribute it. Add additional coloring as needed to achieve desired hue.
- Repeat the process with other colors.
If you don't have access to gel coloring
, you can use the liquid form.
- Pour the sugar into a bowl.
- Add 2 to 3 drops of liquid food coloring.
- Use a fork to mix the coloring into the sugar.
- Transfer the colored sugar into a shallow dish and spread it as evenly as possible.
- Leave the sugar to dry for about one hour, then break up any sugar clumps and transfer the sugar to a plastic bag.
Depending on the cotton-candy machine, you can use granulated sugar, superfine sugar or caster sugar. Add more gel color for a deeper color.