A screened-in porch is a perfect spot to sit and enjoy a meal, but not as great for grilling because of the hazards it presents. Between fire and carbon monoxide concerns, grilling on a screened-in porch is not recommended.
Screened-in porches are one of the leading areas for grill fires to start. Normally small embers get blown away. However, when you grill in a screened-in area, they cling to fabrics, carpets, linens or other nearby flammable materials. The U.S. Fire Administration reports that between 2006 and 2008, 32 percent of grill fires started on either a screened-in porch, courtyard, terrace or patio.
Carbon Monoxide Concerns
Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas produced by burning gas, wood and charcoal, among other things. Typically when you grill outside, carbon monoxide isn't a major concern because it all blows away. Your screen actually inhibits some of that airflow though, increasing your risk of inhaling the poisonous gas. Initially you'll feel dizzy, have a headache, feel weak and may throw up. In some cases, carbon monoxide can even be deadly. Because of carbon monoxide's hidden dangers, keep your grill outside in an open area.
Related LeafTv Articles
Melodie Anne Coffman specializes in overall wellness, with particular interests in women's health and personal defense. She holds a master's degree in food science and human nutrition and is a certified instructor through the NRA. Coffman is pursuing her personal trainer certification in 2015.