Lanolin is a common ingredient in skin care products because it is partly comprised of emollient which holds moisture. Substitutes for lanolin may be necessary if you are allergic to wool -- as lanolin is derived from wool -- or if you are looking for alternatives that have slightly different effects on the skin
Hyaluronic acid is a good alternative to lanolin if you have acne and need a moisturizer that won’t clog your pores. It isn’t an oil – which can actually make acne worse -- but it still hydrates skin effectively. Hyaluronic acid cream has been proven to reduce facial dryness and redness, as well as burning and stinging.
Petrolatum is an ingredient found in treatments for more intensive skin dryness. It relieves dry skin and lips, but it can also provide protection for minor burns as well as protection from chapping. Petrolatum is found in prescription and non-prescription moisturizers alike. It holds water effectively but also block pores – a down side -- and may sting when applied to cracked skin.
If you’re looking for something to make your skin firmer and thicker, lactic acid in concentrations of 12 percent has been proven to firm skin and reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles. Lactic acid is an alpha-hydroxy. These are widely used in cosmetics for their positive effects on different layers of the skin
Coconut oil aids antioxidant activity in the body. This helps the body counteract the negative effects that oxidation has on your cardiovascular system and your skin. Coconut oil contains a lot of healthy vitamin E. If you use it frequently, it is recommended that you only use organic coconut oil as this will lessen your chances of absorbing pesticides or other toxins into your skin.
- DermnetNZ: Allergy To Wool Alcohols
- American Academy of Dermatology: Small Changes In Skin Care Routine Can Significantly Improve Skin Affected by Acne And Rosacea
- Dailymed: Sof Skin Pure Petroleum Cocoa Butter Scented
- Pubmed: Epidermal And Dermal Effects Of Topical Lactic Acid
- The Dr. Oz Show: The Surprising Health Benefits Of Coconut Oil
- American Academy Of Dermatology: Dry Skin: Diagnosis, Treatment And Outcome
- Pubmed: Efficacy And Tolerability of Low Molecular Weight Hyaluronic Acod Sodium Salt 0.2% Cream in Rosacea
Matt Ronquillo is a content developer and an English teacher who has lived and worked in Barcelona, Jakarta and Prague. He holds a BA in communications with a concentration in technical writing from Kaplan University.