According to The University of Maryland Medical Center, food allergies are defined as the body's immune system reacting to generally harmless substances in certain foods. Most food allergies are a result of a genetic predisposition to sensitivity to a certain food item, and allergies normally resolve in adulthood. Strawberries are the fruit that most commonly cause an allergic response in humans, however individuals may be allergic to melons and even pineapple. Pineapple allergy is difficult to diagnose and normally only effectively diagnosed by an allergen test administered by a physician. There are some unpleasant medical symptoms associated with an allergy to pineapple. Symptoms of pineapple allergy may occur immediately after eating the fruit or may take up to five days to present.
The first symptom that may occur as a result of an allergy to pineapple is a skin rash. Individuals may experience patches of a red rash on the body immediately after eating the fruit. The rash may cause swelling, itching and hives (red welts on the skin). These symptoms can likely last for several days after consumption of pineapple.
Digestive disorders such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are associated with pineapple allergy. The body's normal response to an unwanted item or toxin is to get rid of it as quickly as possible. Vomiting and diarrhea is the body's natural way of eliminating toxins from the body. It should be noted, vomiting and diarrhea may lead to dehydration in some individuals.
Individual who suffer from a pineapple allergy may experience some respiratory abnormalities. Pineapple allergy may cause swelling in the face, tongue or throat that may cause difficulty in breathing. If breathing difficulties occur, contact a physician immediately.
Related LeafTv Articles
Individuals who are allergic to pineapple may also experience cramping. It is not uncommon for a person with hypersensitivity to pineapple to experience cramping in the lower abdomen.
Individuals with a severe allergy to pineapple may experience anaphylaxis as a result of pineapple consumption. Anaphylaxis is a severe, total body allergic reaction that can result in excessive swelling to the face and throat making breathing impossible, individuals may lose consciousness because of their inability to breathe, and a drastic drop in blood pressure may occur. If treatment is not administered immediately to a person with anaphylaxis, there is a high probability that death will occur.
Robert Shifko has more than 17 years' experience in the health care industry. Throughout his career, he has gained experience in pharmacologic research, clinical nuclear medicine, and most recently radiation health physics. He has obtained several certifications in nuclear medicine, epidemiology, biostatistics and as a medical radiation safety officer. He has always supported LIVESTRONG.