Stepping out into the autumn air and breathing in the earthy fragrances of fall is one of the definitions of bliss. But stepping into a home filled with the scent of cinnamon and spice is twice as nice. There’s absolutely nothing cozier.
To bring warmth and autumnal aromas into your home, all you need is a pot and a few simple ingredients, many of which you may already have on hand. This ain’t your grandma’s nauseating, artificial medley of potpourri. Here’s how to create an easy simmer pot with real-food and plant ingredients that’ll send fresh, sweet and spicy scents wafting through your abode.
- 4 cups water
- Peels of 5 oranges
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 5 drops pine essential oil, or 1 handful of fresh pine needles
- Boil water in a medium pot.
- Add all ingredients to the boiling water and reduce to a simmer on low heat.
- Water will evaporate, so add more as needed.
- Keep the pot simmering on low heat whenever you’re home or expecting guests, for as long as the aromas last.
You might also like this chai tea recipe.