A Scrumptious Cheeseburger That Eats Like a Pie
Sometimes you want all the goodness of a juicy cheeseburger without having to stand over a grill or flip patties. This ultra-simple recipe makes a hearty batch of cheeseburger deliciousness that takes minutes to prepare. It can even be made a day in advance to save time. Whip it up for a fun summertime dinner outdoors or for a taste of summer as the temperatures drop.
Total Time: 40 minutes | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Serves: 6
- 1-pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 large white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix
- 1 cup skim or low-fat milk
- 2 eggs
- Heat your oven to 400F and lightly grease a 9-inch glass pie plate.
- Cook the beef or turkey, garlic and onion on the stovetop over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the meat is fully browned.
- Drain the meat, sprinkle in the salt and spread the mixture into the pie plate.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the pie plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, using a whisk or fork, then pour it over the plate.
- Bake the pie for 25 minutes, or until a fork or knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Serve the pie warm in triangular slices, with desired condiments and sides, such as ketchup, mustard, pickles, baked sweet potato fries or fresh veggies.
For a make-ahead cheeseburger pie, cook the filling, load it into a pie plate, spread the batter over it and cover it with plastic wrap. Refrigerate it for up to 24 hours, then bake according to the instructions. Depending on how cold the pie is, it may require 5 to 10 more minutes in the oven.
August McLaughlin is a health and sexuality writer and author of "Girl Boner: The Good Girl's Guide to Sexual Empowerment." Her work appears in Cosmopolitan, The Washington Post, DAME Magazine, LIVESTRONG.com and more. augustmclaughlin.com