A handful of LEAF employees been doing the ancient Ayurvedic practice of oil pulling for about one year now. And we can honestly that: IT WORKS! We know that the process sounds a little strange (swishing oil around your mouth for 20 minutes), but, the benefits far outweigh the initial WTF reaction.
Read the benefits below:
- Whitens teeth
- Strengthens gums
- Reduces and prevents plaque build-up
- Pulls bacteria out of the mouth, teeth, gums, throat
- Promotes gut health
- Rev's up your metabolism
- Helps cure hangovers
- Helps with bad breath
Ummm... have we hooked you yet?!
Here's how to do it:
- Choose your organic, cold-pressed, unrefined oil: Sesame, Sunflower or Coconut (we love these easy-to-use coconut oil packets)
- Measure out 1 tsp to 1 tbsp, whatever you're comfortable with - work your way up
- Swish it around in your mouth anywhere from 10-15 minutes, 20 max
- Spit it out into a cup, discard in trash or toilette (it will be a milky, watery substance)
- Rinse your mouth out with salt water
- Brush your teeth as you normally would
The first box in The Year Of Wellness subscription box, Detox, includes 3 coconut oil packets that can help introduce you to oil pulling. Learn more and subscribe here!
Find the time to do this when you FIRST wake up. You can either go sit back in bed, do your dishes, read a magazine, get your breakfast prepared... whatever! Make sure you DO NOT swallow the oil, it's where all of the toxins are going! *Brush your teeth immediately after.