Beauty Tips For Women Over 60
Beauty doesn't end when you are over 60. In fact, by developing a gentle cleansing routine, employing some simple beauty tips and keeping your hair soft and manageable, you can keep your skin healthy and beautiful well into your 80s.
Ageless beauty takes active work and maintenance. Your skin care routine should begin with a good, gentle cleanser that replenishes moisture and doesn't strip your skin of much needed nutrients. Good cleansers include those that may contain:
- Rich Antioxidants: Antioxidants like nutrient rich algae, green tea and vitamin C are good collagen builders that fight free radicals that can damage the skin.
- Lactic acid: One of the most popular alpha hydroxy acids, it reduces the appearance of wrinkles.
- Resveratrol: A compound found in fruits, wine and grapes, resveratrol is a polyphenolic antioxidant that when applied topically, can help reduce the appearance of sun damage.
After cleansing and exfoliating, you'll want to lock in moisture to keep your skin looking soft and smooth. There are plenty of choice moisturizers on the market. Some questions to keep in mind when choosing one are:
- What are your skin's needs? Is your skin dry, paper thin? Loosing elasticity? Target your moisturizing search to a product that is going to address your skin's needs.
What do others say about the product? Reading online reviews can help you understand how well the moisturizer will help your skin.
- What's the price? You may think that the more money a product costs, the better it performs, but that's not necessarily true. Many drugstore brands have lines dedicated to the needs to older skin, and it is better to choose a product that targets your specific needs.
Along with a good moisturizer, think about adding a serum to your daily and nightly routine. Serums adhere to the skin, and allow your moisturizer to penetrate more deeply. The addition of the serum might help to take years off the appearance of your skin.
Now that your skin is looking fit and fabulous, it's time to add some color. Makeup at this stage of the game needs to be soft and diffused. Avoid harsh lines or anything angular. Think more Renoir, less Picasso.
If you have dark circles, you'll want a good eye concealer. Again, moisture and light are your allies. One of the best eye creams that doubles as a concealer comes from Oil of Olay's Regenerist line of products. It brightens the entire eye area while deducing darkness.
Foundation is your base. After prepping your skin with moisturizer, continue the theme by selecting a foundation that also has moisture inducing properties. Look for something luminous and light diffusing as well, like Bobbi Brown's Moisture Rich Foundation with SPF 15. The famed makeup artist also offers Intensive Moisture Rich Serum Foundation with SPF 40 which does double duty, so you don't have to.
Always opt for a cream based blush or bronzer. Cream will add light to your face which is exactly what you want. Apply to the apples of your cheeks.
Stay away from sharp lines -- they will age you. Apply a light shadow over the entire eye lid. If you want color, apply a slightly darker shade to your crease, and if you want to use an eyeliner, be sure to smudge it. Say no to liquid eyeliners that are winged at the ends because it can date your look.
Lips are a great place to reach for color, but try to stick with coral, salmon or pink shades of lipstick. This will give you a pretty pout while minimizing the fine lines around the mouth. Don't be afraid to use gloss as well. After you apply your lipstick, place a small amount of gloss on your lower lip. This will instantly plump lips.
Additionally, don't be shy about wearing bold reds or purples. It will give you a polished look as long as the rest of your makeup is minimal and soft.
Final Must Know Beauty Tips
Regardless of age and skin type, these additional beauty tips will keep you looking gorgeous:
- Shadows on the face make the face look darker, so use a highlighting stick to brighten the corners of the eyes and anywhere else you see shadows, the undersides of your nostrils, right on top of the bow on your top lip etc..
- The brows are extremely important. Stay away from hard lines, and instead use a brow kit like that from Anastasia Beverly Hills Beauty Express Kit. This kit has everything you need to create soft, natural looking brows. It comes with stencils so that you can find the ideal brow shape and length for your face, and it also contains a brow product that stays on the skin, but never looks harsh.
- Less is always more when it comes to looking younger. For example, soft full brows, cement or bone eye shadow and a soft, pink, pouty mouth will always look younger than a liquid cat-eye and defined lips.
Don't Forget About Hair
The same soft focus rules for face should also apply to your hair. No matter your hairstyle, keep it soft, flowing or wavy. Monochromatic color is a no-no. Highlights placed at the crown and front of your hair, especially the sections that frame your face, and darker color in the back, look younger. Follow these tips simple tips and you'll look beautiful no matter your age.