When you think spring, floral blooms, buzzing birds and bees, and the first bursts of warm air come to mind. Just like a new year, the fresh start of the vernal season is an ideal time to detox. After a long winter of slathering on heavy creams to fight off dryness, it’s time to get rid of any congestion in your skin; you might as well purge any toxic beauty products while you’re at it.
For an all-natural spring detox face mask, look to the earth—bentonite clay, derived from volcanic ash, has negative ions that magnetize impurities like toxins and bacteria, which carry a positive charge. It’ll even make your face feel like it’s pulsating, so you’ll know it’s working. Harness some plant power from botanicals. According to Rachael Pontillo, a licensed aesthetician and holistic skin-care educator from Philadelphia, dandelion and matcha (a concentrated form of green tea, from the evergreen shrub camellia sinensis) are both known for their detoxifying properties. A little rosewater and aloe vera soothe as the skin works overtime in the cleansing process. Seriously, this mask is so good for you, it almost sounds like something off of a juice menu.
Here’s how to whip it up and wear it. (Tip: Do not use a metal bowl or spoon—it will deactivate the bentonite clay. )
- 1 tablespoon dandelion root tea, cooled
- 1 tablespoon bentonite clay powder
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- 1 teaspoon rosewater
- 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel
- Brew the dandelion root tea. Set aside 1 tablespoon and let that cool. Drink the rest just for good measure. (FYI: It tastes delectably honey-like.)
- In a small bowl, combine the bentonite clay and matcha powder with a wooden spoon. Swirl together the cooled dandelion root tea and rosewater, then add that to the powder. Add aloe vera gel either from a bottle or straight from an aloe leaf. Mix all ingredients into a smooth paste.
- Apply to your clean face, avoiding the eye area and lips. Leave on for no longer than 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and a washcloth. Immediately follow up with a moisturizer or facial oil of your choice.